Graduate student tuition for the 2015-2016 academic year (Autumn, Winter and Spring Quarters) will be:

Credits Resident Non-Resident
Full time $16,665 $28,908

Summer Quarter attendance is optional for SMEA students. Tuition is always subject to change. Check the UW Student Fiscal Services for more information.

Financial Aid

A variety of financial aid is available to graduate students. For more information, please check the UW Office of Student Financial Aid web site for more information, or contact them by phone at (206) 543-6101.

The Graduate Opportunities and Minority Achievement Program (GO-MAP) office also has information about financial aid specifically available for minority students. Visit the GO-MAP funding web page or call (206) 543-9016 for more information.

SMEA does award some financial aid to students in the form of Research Assistantships (RAs), fellowships, and recruitment awards. Please check with Tiffany Dion, Graduate Program Advisor, about available awards and how to be considered for them. She can be reached at or (206) 543-0106.

Cost of Living

Living expenses vary widely among individuals. In general, however, graduate students should budget approximately $2,100 per month for living expenses (books, room and board, personal items and transportation) for 9 months. International students should plan for $42,408 per year, which includes tuition, fees and living expenses for four quarters (summer included). In addition, another $8,835 should be budgeted per year for a dependent/spouse and $5,028 for each child.

Quoted amounts are subject to change and one should be prepared for adjustments without notice.

Please see Additional Information for links to on-campus and off-campus housing resources.

Grants and Funding

The Grants and Funding Information Service provides help identifying resources for external funding (not UW funding) for graduate students.

Washington State Residency Waiver

Please visit the web site for the Residency Office within the Office of the University Registrar for more information about establishing residency in the State of Washington. You can also contact them using the information below:

Residency Classification Office
264 Schmitz Hall
Box 355850 University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195
(206) 543-5932

Back to Top